# Main feature:
Fast appearance preserving simplification of high polygon models as described in the following papers:
- “Fitting Smooth Surfaces to Dense Polygon Meshes” by Venkat Krishnamurthy and Marc Levoy.
- “Appearance-Preserving Simplification” by Jonathan Cohen, Marc Olano, and Dinesh Manocha.
# Current features:
- Fast generation of:
- Normal Maps in World Space.
- Displacement Maps.
- Ambient Occlusion Maps.
- DLL backend for integration on many platforms in executable or plugin form.
- Easy and intuitive interface.
- Smart heuristic for intersection selection.
# Planned features:
- Dilation filter.
- Fixed and floating point output formats.
- Object and Tangent space normal map output.
- Compressed normal map output (3Dc, DXT).
- New optimizations to achieve near realtime normal and displacement map generation.
- Integrated plugins for 3D Studio Max and Maya.
# Comparison with free tools:
- nVidia Melody: this is probably the most complete free tool available for appearance preserving generation, although the GUI is far from practical. Was used as a quality and speed reference during the development of Gapps.
- ATI NormalMapper: Lacks speed and quality.
- OpenRB: Slow even in hardware. Poor console based GUI.
If GAPPS was released with all of the planned features as free software it would be the fastest and most complete free APS tool available.