A colleague at work needed to export some stuff to Ogre engine from Maya 2009 but there were no exporters available. I compiled the tools and all went well. Here’s the plugin for anyone that needs it.
I realized that I had just compiled the x86 version (32 bits) and not the 64 bits that he needed. Next, I tried to compile the 64 bits version but it proved to be a bit difficult and I couldn’t finish the compilation due to time issues. Ogre seems to compile fine for 64 bits but the problems are the dependencies. I got stuck in the FreeImage library that itself doesn’t appear to have problems with 64 bits. But since FreeImage uses other libraries, one of these libraries was not compiling for 64 bits (OpenJPG I think). So if anyone succeeds on this task let me know.
- Download Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package for x86 from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a5c84275-3b97-4ab7-a40d-3802b2af5fc2&displaylang=en
- Install it.
- Download Ogre Exporter for Maya 2009 here.
- Unzip the file you just downloaded.
- Put ogreExporter.mll in the (Maya2009InstallDirectory)binplug-ins. This is usually under: C:Program FilesAutodeskMaya2009binplug-ins.
- Put OgreMain.dll in the (Maya2009InstallDirectory)bin. This is usually under: C:Program FilesAutodeskMaya2009bin.
- Put ogreExporter.mel in the (Maya2009UserConfigDirectory)2009scripts. This is usually under: C:Documents and SettingsYourUsernameMy Documentsmaya2009scripts.
- Start Maya 2009.
- Type ogreExporter in the MEL script prompt and a new window should appear with the exporter.
If you have any problems installing it, contact me.